The meeting was held as a video conference on Monday October 21, 20-19, 11:00AM MDT, closing at 12:30PM MDT.
Council members present:
Azima Martha Toy, Qahira Fran Becker, Kuan Yin Cindy Pujos-Michel, Nirtan Carol Sokoloff, David Murray
Akbar Lody Kieken
Call To Order
President Nirtan called the meeting to order at 11:05 MDT
Old Business: The minutes from the previous meeting, September 17, 2019 were moved by Kuan Yin, seconded by Azima and approved.
New Business: The agenda was approved with no additions.
1. How are we doing with the transition of Board roles? Any action required? Azima, new Treasurer, reported that the transition of the functions of the Treasurer to her from Fazalunissa are proceeding well. The new address of the SMIC will be sorted out soon.
Nirtan, new President, will be sending out a letter to all SCC members and to especially welcome new members.
David, new Secretary, has prepared the meeting agenda and will record the minutes.
2. Confirm position appointments: President, Treasurer and Secretary. Discuss the role descriptions. These positions were approved at the last meeting.
3. Discuss the website “Organization - Council” section to be sure we are all aware of our policy procedures. David will prepare a list of the policies that have been recorded by Jelaluddin on the website.
4. Nirtan would like to talk about setting up a travel fund. $100 has been donated from the Courtney workshop. There is a policy in place that allows the Treasurer to reimburse travel and other expenses for retreat/workshop leaders. Nirtan received $200 reimbursement for the recent Courtney workshop, taken from the retreat fees. She has donated $100 to the SMIC that can be used for future travel expenses intended for any member, not just leaders. The SCC Board will discuss this at the next meeting as new policy.
5. Purpose and meaning of the SCC and SMIC names. The impact on Treasury functions. This subject matter was discussed at length. The SMIC name will be used for financial transactions, business and for charitable donation and government purposes. The SCC will be used as the popular name. All retreat payments will be send to the Treasurer for deposit. She would not be the registrar of the event. Azima will prepare a form that will be filed out by the Registrar to explain the finances.
6. How to accomplish website updates? What updates do we think we will be making? Kuan Yin recommended updating the website home page to provide transparency, a clear explanation of the two names and to provide a history of the organization that explains the origin of the Sufi Movement in Canada and the adoption of the Sufi Circle Canada name. Kuan Yin will contact the original members of the organization to develop a clear understanding of the history. Nirtan will be the editor of the updated website material.
The topic of initiation was discussed at length. There needs to be a clear understanding of what the initiate is being initiated into - SMIC, SCC? Akbar has previously suggested that our initiations be into the Sufi Message. This will be the subject of future discussions and preparation of a policy.
It was re-iterated that we are a “stand alone” organization. No financial ties to the ISM. We will keep our own records of initiation and membership. We are part of the larger HIK Sufi Message family.
7. What do we want to do over the coming year as an organization? This will be held over for a future discussion,
8. Discussion of the possibility of a ‘newsletter’ to our membership on a fairly regular basis. Must be easy to produce. This will be held over for a future discussion
9. David will report on any ISM National Representative activity. This will be held over for a future discussion
10. Discussion on: - The healing activity - The Universal Worship - Centre meetings/news This will be held over for a future discussion.
11. Next meeting. Monday December 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM MST.
Sufi Circle Canada Is a Sufi Movement In Canada Community affiliated with the Sufi Movement International